Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
do i have pleurisy

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

do i have pleurisy

i have had a pain in my upper abdomen, just under my breast bone on the right hand side and recently it feels as if it is going right through to my back on the same side,i also have a dry cough and although the pain hurts it doesn`t feel any worse when i cough although if feels worse in the morning or if i have been to sleep, i quit smoking two years ago so it`s not that i was wondering if it could be pleurisy starting or if you think it could be something else to do with my lung? any advise will be most welcome by the way i am 34
thank you
pip
You should see your physician as soon as possible.  You will need a chest x-ray.  If your symptoms continue or worsen you should see a pulmonologist.
Pleurisy is inflammation or irritation of the pleura, the sac that holds the lungs.  This can cause chest tightness and pain, which is felt more with deep breathing and coughing.  This can be caused by anything that reaches the covering of the lungs that should not be there, such as bacteria or viruses.  Antibiotics will help a bacterial infection, but will not help a viral infection.  Over time your body's natural defenses will clear a viral infection.
If this is pleurisy it will resolve but it may take weeks.  During this time it is important to treat the pain so that you are able to breath as normal as possible so that other problems do not start.  Two things that may help with the pain are:
1) an anti-inflammatory pill, like Advil