Respiratory Disorders Community
does anyone else HACK tons of mucus ?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung and respiratory issues, allergies, asthma, bronchitis, colds/flu, chronic cough, COPD, lung abscess, nasal polyps, pleurisy, pneumonia, sarcoidosis, and tuberculosis.

does anyone else HACK tons of mucus ?

I'm trying to figure out if I'm alone with coughing, gagging and hacking thick to thin and stringy mucus several times a day.  This started 7 yrs. ago after a sinus infection.  I never had sinus problems before.  This has taken over my life.  I have seen 4 ENT's and have had tests galore with no real help.  I'm curious if any one else hacks out and up so much mucus you wonder where it all comes from.  I have to put my head over the sink and hack it all down the back of my throat and push upright under my neck in front to get the nasty stuff out.  Iv'e used every normal and some not so normal protocal for treatment and can't get it to stop.  If the snot would come out my nose it would be bearable but out my mouth is overwhelming.  I'm too old for this (62) and am exhausted.  Any input or help appreciated.
Tags: mucus, hack, sinus
Have you ever taken antibiotics for this? Is sounds like sinusitis. I have had that problem. I just had bronchitis and then came the sinusitis. I took two rounds of anti-biotics and that seemed to take care of it. Also, have you tried Mucinex?
Yes to antibiotics and mucinex causes abrupt release of tons of mucus that I have seriously choked on. I have so much that my medications (pills) have become suspended in my throat.  My ent has even tried a antifungal w/o results.  I have had tests to make sure it's not gerd also. I  have asthma which is complicated by this.  Thanks for your input.
Rusty,, I feel for you.  I have the same problem, but sounds like mine is not quite as bad as yours but it is still totally disturbing.  Always hacking to try to get that stuff up. If I let it go down my throat, then it collects on my bronchials and then I cough and cough and cough till I think I'm going to pass out and finally I cough up this little piece of green you know what.  I found something here on the site, about LPR which sounds just like what I have and I am going to make an appt. with an ENT.  If you go to LPR on google or even on this site, you will get some info at least.  here are some symptoms.  
Symptoms of Laryngopharyngeal Reflux are:

* Continual throat clearing
    * Chronic throat irritation
    * Chronic cough
    * Hoarseness
    * Excessive phlegm the throat
    * Dysphagia (difficulty swallowing)
    * Constant sensation of something in the throat
    * Swallowed food comes back up
    * Post nasal drainage

I try to wash my nasal passages every morning, with a little squeeze bottle that I fill with different solutions, although salt water works as well as anything.  I also am gluten intolerant plus other things, as allergies, so I hope I can get to the bottom of it too.  I will look on this site for more information.  
I have and so does my daughter,this constant clearing of throat,thick mucous that just sis on lungs and in throat,I believe it to be from milk,cheese,creams etc,also the society we live in today does not help,with all the cars etc,the fumes in our atmosphere,the way we eat,I wish we could go back about 50 years and start all over again,but DO IT RIGHT THIS TIME.