Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
drug induced asthma

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

drug induced asthma

I developed asthma suddenly at age 62 while taking "prev pac", (amoxicillin, clarithromycin, prevacid).  No previous history of lung problems.  Is it possible that the drugs triggered an autoimmune response?  This has persisted for 3 years, some relief at first from prednisone but it no longer works.
I know of no reports that link the development of asthma with any of the drugs in the preparation, Prevpac.  In fact Clarithromycin has proven to be beneficial in the treatment of certain types of asthma.

My first thought is to question the diagnosis of asthma, with onset at age 62.  From what you have written, there seems to be a temporal relationship between your taking this medication and the onset of asthma, but that does not necessarily mean that there exists a cause and effect relationship.

The onset of asthma at age 62 is, under any circumstance and especially with no prior history of asthma, most unusual and should raise the question of whether the diagnosis of asthma is valid, given that there are a number of diseases that can mimic asthma, including Vocal Cord Dysfunction, large airway tumors and bronchiolitis.  

You would do well to request a second opinion from a pulmonary specialist, ideally an asthma specialist, who is completely independent of the doctors who have provided your care, thus far.  I would also suggest that you seek the opinion of a pharmacologist regarding the possibility that the drug you took are related to the onset of asthma.  Your doctors may be skeptical of my suggestion that you might not have asthma but I would suggest that you persevere.

Good luck
Thank you for your response.  I have been to 4 pulmonologists including one from National Jewish who is now at UVM.  His diagnosis is 'you just have asthma and there's no cure for asthma,  try another inhaler'.   The others were equally indifferent.

I have had numerous xrays and scans, all clear.

Can you suggest any way that I might find a more helpful doctor, one who will at least try to find the cause?

http://erj.ersjournals.com/content/18/32_suppl/93s.full