Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
dust in lungs

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

dust in lungs

I worked in a very dusty area this weekend without a mask and now I am very uncomfortable.  I cough hard and it is a dry racking cough.  Is there any form of relief I could try.  I am having trouble getting my breathe.  Can't get comfortable.  
Sounds like you had a heavy exposure to irritant material or allergens in the dust and now have what is often called asthmatic bronchitis.  One need not have a history of asthma to suffer from dust inhalation.  In some instances, dust exposure can result in wheezing and tightness of the chest and, in others, may even cause pneumonia.

If this is mainly bronchitis, you could get good relief from the type of medicines used to treat asthma.  You should have a chest x-ray and, if you have pneumonia, you will need additional therapy.

You should see a medical doctor and not just wait for this to go away on its own.