emphysema
My Hubby has severe emphysema, and will not quit smoking or having a few beer every day.  He drinks gatorade and takes his pills and puffers, but I wondered how long he can expect to live, he was diagnosed 2 years ago?
I am in no position to estimate the end, but it sounds bad.  Emphysema is very serious even for those who have quite smoking.  

My brother-in-law quit smoking about 15 years ago at the age of 65 (an estimate) and his emphysema wasn't noticeable to a casual visitor, such as me.  He was using a breathing mask at night (called a CPAP I think) since about 10 years ago and now can not move around without carrying an oxygen bottle with tubes to his nostrils.    In his case stopping smoking likely gave him more years, but he was not cured from emphysema.

I say do what you can to encourage him to quit smoking and in the meantime you should try to not breath any more second-hand smoke than you have to.