excessive mucus in lungs
My boyfriend coughs up mucus from his lungs daily.  What could be the cause of having constant mucus in your lungs?  Please help.
HR
Hi, have him checked for GERD. this hydrochloric acid gets breathed into the lungs and affects the trhroat. This is often misdiagnosed as bronchitis or pnemonia and such. the lungs and throat produce mucus to protect the membranes from the acid fumes. this is usually hereditary or caused by hiatal hernia from coughing etc.
This appears to be what I have.  Can the valve be repaired or something done to prevent the over production of acid or mucus.  I drown every night, the inclined bed does not work for me.  It has been going on for over 20 years. This problem prevents me from sleeping and I am going crazy.  Losing a large amout of weight would help if ithe condition didn't get worse when I have an empty stomach!