Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
exercise and nasal drip with cough.

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

exercise and nasal drip with cough.

I am writing on behalf of my friend who attends my aerobic classes (I am the instructor)
Of late she has started to blow her nose repeatedly throughout the class and cough whilst doing the class and for about 10 mins after the class. She has also had occasions where her nose would just run like a waterfall and actually shoot out excessive amounts of fluid. It is a watery fluid.
The biggest problem is that the excessive mucous which must hit the back of her throat, also makes her feel sick. She sometimes runs out feeling sick, but ends up just blowing her nose.
Another symptom is that when she brushes her teeth it makes her feel sick and of late she has actually been sick after brushing her teeth.
She is very fit and has done aerobics and other classes for about 6 years without any of these problems.
she also coughs on a morning when going outside to her car.
I have thoughts that it may be exercise induced asthma but most of the information on this problem sites chest tightness and wheezing as the main symptoms and she has neither of these.
Can anyone help? her doctor prescribed antacid tablets, but she has no acid!!
Postnasal drip is drainage from the nose and sinuses dripping down the back of the throat.  There could be several reasons for this drainage.  One reason is an allergy.  A second reason is a non-allergic, non-infectious inflammation in the sinuses that can linger after a cold.  A third reason is chronic sinusitis.  Postnasal drip can cause coughing as a result of irritation of the throat and lungs.  This may be experienced as coughing to the point of vomiting.  Generally this irritation feels the worst when you wake up and gets better as the day goes on.  Typically postnasal drip is worse at night when you lay down to sleep.

An antihistamine can dry up the postnasal drip.  However, it may make the mucus thicker and more difficult to move.  A decongestant like Sudafed
It might be vasomotor rhinitis [nonallergic hay fever] with postnasal drip getting into throat causing cough. An ENT could diagnose. See:
http://www.asc.upenn.edu/courses/comm240/spring2001/chint/VR.html
Vasomotor Rhinitis

"Quick Definition

A chronic running nose (rhinitis) that is characterized by intermittent (coming and going) episodes of sneezing, watery nasal drainage (rhinorrhea), and blood vessel congestion of the nasal mucus membranes."

See test for vasomotor rhinitis at this site.
Treatment could include decongestants and steroid nasal spray.