Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
exposure to adhesives - can't breathe deeply

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

About 2 weeks ago, I was exposed to adhesives when we had flooring installed in our house. Began feeling nervous and have (what appeared to be) shortness fo breath and panic attack within the next few days. 2 visits to ER and 2 to the doctor resulted in a diagnosis of initial hyperventilation syndrome probably brought on by a respiratory reaction to the chemicals in the adhesive. I take 1 or 2 Ativan a day and don't have the panic issues but I just have a hard time getting a good deep breath. The abdominal breathing seems to be the problem. It has slowly improved but is worse after eating or mild exercise. I passed the lung test, xray, catscan and breathing test. I have very mild asthma but inhalers do nothing. Have had mile symptoms of hiatal hernia in the past and 2 endoscopies to improve swallowing. This is so frustrating. Has anyone experienced this problem with abdominal breathing. Will it ever improve? Thanks, SF
There are many things that can cause what you have described.  One possible cause is an irritant effect.  Being exposed to the odor of flooring adhesives could have trigger a headache or vomiting, or the reaction that you had.  When breathing difficulty starts suddenly it can trigger a panic attack.  Hyperventilation is rapid, shallow breathing using the upper chest muscles rather than the diaphragm.  This is generally part of a panic attack.  Try to breath with your diaphragm rather than your upper chest.  Here are the instructions for diaphragmatic breathing:
1)Breathe in slowly and deeply through your nose.
2)While you breathe in, count 1, 2 and push your stomach out.
3)Place your hand on your stomach so you can feel your stomach going out.  This promotes the use of your diaphragm and your lower respiratory muscles.
4)Breathe out slowly and deeply through your mouth.
5)While you slowly breathe out all the way, count 1, 2, 3, 4 and let your stomach relax.  You can feel your stomach going in with your hand.
If you can be seen at Nat'l Jewish Medical & Research Center, in Denver, CO, you could get answers and help! You can speak with a LUNG LINE nurse, there, about your chemical exposure, etc., by calling 1-800-222-LUNG(5864) on weekdays, between 8am & 4:40pm, Colorado time.

Good luck to you.

Concerned lady
<a href=http://cantbreathesuspectvcd.com>http://cantbreathesuspectvcd.com</a>
I hope you can see a very good Pulmonologist (lung specialist doctor) to find out if any lung damage may have been caused from inhaling the adhesive fumes.

Also, you might want to see a good GI (Gastro-intestinal/digestive specialist) about the hiatal hernia and possible GERD (Gastro-Esophageal Reflux Disease), both of which can have various bad effects on breathing.

The hiatal hernia & GERD, can cause problems with the vocal cords &/or with the lungs!

Good luck to you.

Sincerely, Concerned lady