Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
feeling like I have to cough when I laugh or exhale deeply

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

joi
I have mild asthma and ver ybad allergies and am currently 25 wks  pregnant..for the last 2 months I have had the feeling like I ahd to cough when I laugh or exhale deeply..I also feel like something is sitting on my chest esp. when I lie flat..could my post nasal drip cause this ? I had a real bad tickle in my throat about 2 months ago and it started after that..my peak flow readings were good..I am on no meds only albuteral when needed.
Usually coughing when you have a change in your breathing pattern while laughing or exhaling deeply is a sign that your asthma is out of control.  The feeling you have described of something sitting on your chest, especially when you lie flat could be due to your postnasal drip.  However it is more likely that it is another sign that your asthma is out of control.  A peak flow meter does not measure changes in the small airways of your lungs.  Therefore it is possible for your peak flow readings to remain good while you are having these problems.

With asthma the basic problem is chronic inflammation along with tightness of the airways of the lungs.  This inflammation increases the sensitivity of the airways to a variety of things that make asthma worse.  These asthma triggers vary from person to person.  Generally when albuterol alone doesn
A related discussion, Why do I cough after laughing? was started.
A related discussion, Coughing was started.
Asthma Tracker
Asthma Tracker
Allergy Tracker
Allergy Tracker