Respiratory Disorders Community
fever after 2+ weeks of treatment
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung and respiratory issues, allergies, asthma, bronchitis, colds/flu, chronic cough, COPD, lung abscess, nasal polyps, pleurisy, pneumonia, sarcoidosis, and tuberculosis.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

fever after 2+ weeks of treatment

I'm a 35 year old, otherwise healthy, female.  I was diagnosed with pneumonia 18 days ago.  I was originally given avelox for a 7 day course plus advair 2x/day.  After the antibiotic course I was still having difficulty breathing and some fever.  I went back to the doctor who gave me an additional 5 days of avelox.  Two day after the 2nd course of antibiotics my breathing had improved, but was still labored and a low grade fever returned (99-99.5) for about 24 hrs.  At that time, I returned to my doctor once again.  She said I had improvement but still had some "crackling" in both lungs and she put me on a 6 day course of steroids, added an albueterol inhaler and gave me another adviar pack for 2x/day use.  I've taken the steroid pack for 3 days now.  My breathing seems to improve for the majority of the day, but then seems to wear off and I find myself with shortness of breath and coughing (coughing up some yellowish phlegm).  Then, last night, my low grade fever (99.4) returned again, seemingly out of nowhere.  

I know typical recovery from pneumonia can vary greatly, but the random fever seems unusual to me.  My doctor suggested bedrest and to complete the steroid course.  But, the steroids only address inflamation (inflammation), not the infection, correct?   I'm not sure why I'm having this intermittent fever and whether or not I should see a pulmonologist at this point.