Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
fever and earaches after adenoids(adenoids) and tonsils removed

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

My 4.5 yr old son had the tonsils and adenoids (adenoids) removed on Tues A.M. and he begun having ear aches yesterday along with a lowgrade fever.  Son claims he can't swallow or his ears and head hurts "so bad"  He doesn't want to take his meds (amoxocillin and hydrocodone)b/c of the pain.  Spoke to the oncall ENT @ the 101.0 fever.  He said it's normal --just to continue to enforce liquids and continue to push him to take the meds.
Is this normal and how can I alleviate the pain tha tmy son is feeling?  He was feeling better on the eve and day after the surgery and it seems like he has regressed ( he spits his saliva out to avoid swallowing!)
These are not uncommon reactions following tonsil and adenoid surgery.  The antibiotics are very important to control present or possible infection.  The pain will slowly go away.  If your son will not tolerate the hydrocodone, try Tylenol
If his temp goes much higher I'd for sure call the doc again. This poor little guy sounds miserable. You've got to make sure he doesn't have a post op infection.

Keep bugging the doctor. Squeaky wheels get results.
you could also try tylenol rectally to help the pain.....wait about a half hour before you try to give him anything to drink........ try popsicles, jello....usually the pain and discomfort returns around the 4-5th day after surgery ....my kids had theirs done and it is normal......but if his fever goes up he could have an infection or a little atelectasis of his lung.....this is just where his lung isnt quite expanded as it should be....sometimes it follows surgery of any kind....keep in touch with his surgeon.......good lluck