Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
fluid in lungs and gas in stomach

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

fluid in lungs and gas in stomach

My husband has been coughing up mucous for about 1 1/2 years now.  Nobody can tell him anything but he has fluid in his lungs and take lasik to dry him up. And some antibiotics.   He has shortness of breath and can't sleep at night when he is laying down.  He then doesn't have much appetite because of the coughing.  He also seems to break out a fever with the cold sweats at night, maybe once a month.  On occasion he will have gas in his abdomen and for sure can't breathe or eat and then feels like he needs to burp it out.  Please Help with any new ideas to figure this out!
I assume that your husband did not cough up mucus prior to 1½ years ago.  So this was new onset cough that has lasted about 18 months.  Your description suggests that his doctors are uncertain about what is causing his problem.   Also, from what you say, the problem could be his heart or his lungs.  The “fever with cold sweats” suggests some type of infection but I would expect that to occur more often if infection were the cause.

What is clear is that your husband is seriously ill and not getting better in response to the treatment he has been given.  I strongly recommend that you seek a second opinion from another doctor who has not been involved in his care.  The best physician to see would be a specialist in internal medicine or a specialist in diseases of the lungs, called a pulmonologist.  You can do this on your own or with the assistance of his current doctor but one way or the other, you and his doctors must seek help.  If you live in a small town, you may have to seek help in the nearest city with a large hospital.  Do not delay.

Good luck.