Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
focal thickening

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

focal thickening

I am 36 years old and a non-smoker. I had a routine chest x-ray. The radiologist report said that there is a thin-shadowing in the right-mid zone and a small nodule projected over the mid-thoracic spine. It recommended a CT scan as I did not have a previous copy of the chest x-ray to compare. The CT scan report said that there is a vague density which is pleural based and measures 6 mm in diameter adjacent to the right major fissure and may just represent a thickened portion of the fissure. It said this could be the possible cause of the nodule density seen in chest x-ray. The legion is associated with major fissure at approx level of minor fissure and is somewhat triangular in shape, extending to the chest wall on the right posterolaterally. It also said no other focal nodules are identified, auxiliary regions are fine and no mediastinal or hilar adenopathy is identified. It recommended a 3 month follow up CT scan to document stability. I will be worried for the next 3 months. Does it indicate any cancer? Do I need to consult a lung specialist or oncologist immediately? or shall I wait for 3 months to see the CT scan report?
A nodule is due to infection, inflammation, or tumors.  A nodule that is 2 centimeter (20 millimeters) in size or smaller is very unlikely to be cancer.  As a 36-year-old non-smoker, with a CT scan that shows nothing other than the 6 mm nodule, the advice to repeat the CT scan in 3 months is sound.  That is what I would do, if it were my x-ray.  The odds are very high that this is nothing to worry about.  Only if the nodule has grown would more testing be done to know what the nodule could be.
I just want to clarify that I have no symptoms. I had to undergo an x-ray for a work visa to a different country. That's when all this happended.