Respiratory Disorders Community
funky ordor in nose-respiratory disorder

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung and respiratory issues, allergies, asthma, bronchitis, colds/flu, chronic cough, COPD, lung abscess, nasal polyps, pleurisy, pneumonia, sarcoidosis, and tuberculosis.

I have a terrible odor in my nose that I've had for a long time.  I had sinus surgery 6 weeks ago which made it worse.  I have had breathing problems and it has been determined that it is not asthma.  When I get this odor in my nose, my throat seems to tighten and close.  I have been on prednisone for 6 months trying to find out where this respiratory problems is coming from.  Is it possible that the odor has something to do with my respiratory problem?
Your problem is remarkably common on this forum.

All I can tell you is some of the things I've noted here, with no guarantees.
1.  Some people, including myself, have had a smell that only they can smell.  It could smell like dog-poop, old cheese, ammonia, a burning smell, etc.  The smell comes on, often, as a result of a cold or sinus infection. Some, not all, of these smells are caused by an anaerobic bacteria thriving in the upper sinuses, and I was able to remove mine with a Flip-Turn Sinus Flush, and many other people have had success with it as well:
http://www.medhelp.org/user_journals/show/2322

The Flip-Turn Sinus Flush is mildly risky, because you have to bend over to do it, preferably in a shower, but you can also do it outside on soft ground, or you can kneel down and lean over a bathtub, or perhaps a plastic basin or tub, with the shower running for steam.

2.  Some people had the smell, but were able to get rid of it with long-term antibiotics.
3.  Some people had cysts or polyps, which blocked off parts of their sinuses, and created a pocket of infection.  One woman, after reading my journal, made an appointment with Dr. Murray Grossan, who invented the Grossan Irrigation Machine, and he removed her cyst and the smell went away.
4.  One man did a sinus flush, and some white tofu-like chunks came out.  The smell actually got worse for a while, then went back to normal.
5.  Many people, particularly the ones who have a strong odor that other people are revolted by, had no change at all after doing a Sinus Flush.
6.  One woman found out that the smell was coming from a cracked tooth that her dentist was unable to find, but was discovered by a different dentist.
7.  Some smells can come from liver or kidney diseases, or from acid reflux in the stomach-- Gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD), or gas from the stomach-- laryngopharyngeal reflux (LPR)
8.  Some smells can come from having a bad mix of bacteria in the intestines, and somehow the smell comes out through the sinuses or lungs.  The best solution that I have seen is The Schwarzbein Principle by Dr. Diana Schwarzbein, MD.
9.  There is a disease called atrophic rhinitis, which involves the decay of the mucus membranes in the sinuses.  I don’t know much about it, that’s what ENTs and Google are for.
10.  There are people who have been to multiple ENTs, and the doctors are completely mystified.
11.  There may be a possibly be a fungal infection, possibly invasive, that doesn’t flush out with saline, but that’s just a hypothesis.
12. Another hypothesis: Some of the problems may be caused by the same kind of bacteria that cause tonsilloliths, or tonsil stones.
13.  Finally, some patients have doctors who have diagnosed a yeast infection in the gut, which cause the smell which comes out through the sinuses or breath, and prescribed Fluconazole 150mg.  This looks somewhat promising, but Fluconazole must be administered by a doctor at any rate.  Here is the Medhelp thread for that:

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Respiratory-Disorders/Bad-smell-coming-from-noseFound-a-Cure-Yayyyy/show/520721

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Allergy/Weird-Smell-in-my-Nasal-passage-will-not-go-away/show/1080376
For some more information about the fungus, put the following in your search engine.  
“Fungal Theory Debated in Amphotericin B Controversy”
Good luck
Hello there, i have this bad odor in my nose i smell it often but people around smell it always, distanced people even smell it. Because of this i don't work and also go to public places, the funniest side is that i have a crush on a girl but i cant tell her,truth is that i'm not ugly, doctors are a bit useless in my community, any home remedy or even spiritual help will do. Please help me and i will be grateful
Please email me at matthew_843***@****