Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
getting your home tested for toxicity

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

getting your home tested for toxicity

Hello, would you please tell me the best way to get your home tested for toxic elements?  
I have had a slowly progressive illness in the form of constant headaches, difficulty breathing, lightheadedness, and a blocked nose and it began shortly after I moved into this house.
I gather that this doesn't really sound like typical mold exposure symptoms, but I am still very concerned there may toxicity at work.  

Do you think this is possible, and most importantly, who do I turn to to get an unbiased, professional, and comprehensive scientific study of the materials in my home, especially the insulation and so forth?   I am concerned about private companies just trying to sell me something I don't need, etc.  So are there any labs I can send samples off to that do broad range testing for many toxic elements,  or will the EPA come to my home and charge it to my tax dollars?

Thank you for your reply.
Tags: irritable
If the onset of your symptoms truly did coincide with your moving to your current home, it is highly likely that you are reacting to something that is peculiar to your home, such as mold, fungi, allergen, and/or irritant.  This would be reinforced if you were to be gone from your home for a couple weeks and experienced a reduction in symptoms.

I do not believe the EPA will send an environmental expert to an individual home.  They will respond, however, to anyone who has a concern about a workplace environment, including concerned employees.  You can go to the EPA website http://www.epa.gov/ for a lot more information.

Your best bet is to call an academic or university medical school department of occupational and environmental medicine.  Many of these have industrial hygienists.  If they don't, they almost always have contractual arrangements with industrial hygienists and this is the type of person that you need to carefully evaluate your home environment.