Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
grinding sound

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

grinding sound

Good MOrning,
When i lay down my nose gets extreemly stuffed up been going on for years (i am 25 years old) lately when i lay on my back and take a deep breath i hear and feel a sort of grinding sound in my airway. This will only happen once normally as soon as i lay down, it also happens if i get up and and inhale deeply again only once. my fiance does sleep with a fan on and we have a cat i know that i am allergic to those things. we had to have a lung test done for work along with a astma test, these were both down in the past year, also my yearly physical came back good. i have a lot of post nasal drip from my sinus into my throat. My main concern though is with the grinding it never happens when i get my physicals just as soon as i lay on my back at home, if i lay on my stomach it does not do the grinding thing. any help would be great, sorry this is so comfusing.
thank you
The grinding sound in your airways is most likely due to your postnasal drip.  Since postnasal drip is drainage from the nose and sinuses dripping down the back of the throat you would not hear or feel it when you are on your stomach.  Typically this is worse at night when you lay down to sleep.  If the drainage is something that is uncomfortable, I would suggest working with your doctor to find the cause and treat the symptoms.
For info on lung sounds see:
http://www.vh.org/adult/provider/internalmedicine/LungSounds/LungSounds.html

It sounds a little like a pleural rub.

Postnasal drip needs to be treated; it could get into lungs and cause problems. Antihistamines, Singulair, Nasalcrom nasal spray, steroid nasal sprays.

You might be allergic to dust stirred up by fan; also could develop an allergy to cats. In still air, dust drops to the ground in about 15 min. Maybe a HEPA air cleaner would help.
Tanks for thereply,

I listened to the sounds the difference with mine are that it only happens once when i yawn then stops total. It seems the sounds that you advised me to listen to pleural rub are constant with breathing. Like i stated it only happens when i first lie down.
thank you