guinea pigs
We bought 2 guinea pigs 7 days before our 7 yr old began coughing and running a constant low grade temp. WE're now on day 13, but have taken 5 days of z-pac, xopenex nebulizer and codituss cough med with codiene.  Her coughing during the day is much improved but as soon as she lies down for bedtime the coughing begins. She coughed over an hour before falling asleep  and then coughed almost non-stop from 1:30-6:30 this am. Still running a low-grade temp. No wheezing but is this asthma, allergy, virus? Are the guinea pigs causing all of this? In need of a good night's sleep, mommy
I forgot to mention we've been on prednisone for 2 days as well and the coughing happens at bedtime and then sets in again between 1:20-2:00 routinely.
Did she have any of these symptoms before you got the guinea pigs.  If not, I would get them out of the house fast!  I am highly allergic to cats and guinea pigs and the like and have the same symptoms if they are in the house.  Wash all the linens in your house and any clothing.  Your kids can transfer the pet dander from hands to clothing to other home surfaces. Make sure you try the simple things like vacuuming her mattress and getting her a good mattress cover and a new pillow.  I would say - get rid of the pets and get some sleep! As a mother of 4 with 3 under age 3 I can understand your need for sleep. Good luck!
I appreciate your comments. As it turns out, I THINK all of this is caused from reflux. Longggg story short, the coughing apparently can be caused by reflux. We were asked to do a quick test with baking soda (to see if she had too much acid or not enough). She didn't have enough so it was recommended we give her a tsp of apple cider vinegar (weird, I know). She slept through the night for the 1st time in 2 wks.  Suppose to do the vinegar 2 times a day for a day or two and stop. I'm cautiously optomistic.  From a sleepy mom though...I was grateful it worked.