Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
half lung removed

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

half lung removed

I am writing to you about my sister.  Her bottom left lung callopsed about 2 months ago because of fluid and she had half her lung removed.  She also had to wear a chest tube until 2 weeks ago.  Her side and part of her stomach hurts.  She is also having a hard time getting a deep breath.  It also hurts where the chest tube was.  It was in her side for almost 2 months.  She is very worried because she is afraid she may get sick again.  Are these symptoms normal.  What is the recovery time for this type of surgery.  Any suggestions for an easier recovery.  What might help with the pain or is that just typical.  Any help that you can provide will be greatly appreciated.

Jennifer
The pain from the surgery will gradually subside, but may never completely resolve.  The longer a chest tube is in, the greater likelihood of chronic pain.  Having a chest tube for 2 months is a long time.  Whatever else happens from this point on will be largely dependent on the cause of the fluid and/or why half the lung had to be removed.
Hi. I am not an MD, and I am sure you are desperate for a response from a professional... but in the mean time, May I ask you if your sister had any form of lung cancer?  Or did she just have collapsed lung?  What did her pleural effusion come from, or that fluid that you were speaking of.  My mother had a stage IIB with lymph node activity. They at first were going to do a thorascopy, but found that the tumor was in a procarious spot and had to go in through her back.  It was a difficult surgery and they gave us no promises.  She also had a fluid build up and needed to have tube.  Once they removed the tube, the fluid was still pouring out whenever she moved or went in the car.  You mentioned that your sister was afraid that she would "get sick again" can you give any background as to why her lung collapsed to begin with?  I mean, was she diagnosed with anything?  How old is she?  My heart goes out to you, as I know how horrible and scarey it is when your loved ones fall ill.
Also, I forgot to mention that my mother had a multi-lobectomy, on her right side, and only has one lobe on that side now.  She also had a very, very long recovery.  Not to scare you, but this is a very serious surgery, and takes a very long time to recover from. Again, please refer back to the first post, for the questions I posed.
Thank you for your response.  I am also very sorry to hear about your mother.  It is hard when our loved ones suffer.  

My sister was in a bad car accident, and her left side was hit pretty hard.  I think the force hurt her lung and caused it to collapse.  She did not have lung cancer.  However, she develop pnemonia (pneumonia) while she was there, and both her lungs had fluid in them.  She lost a lot of blood and had to have 7 pints of blood.  

Thank you so much for your concern.  Again, my heart goes out to you and your family.  Your mother will be in my prayers.
Thanks for the prayers.