Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
hard to breathe and tight chest HELP

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

hard to breathe and tight chest HELP

I went to the doctor last friday because my chest was really tight, it was hard to breathe, I have a dry cough and my headaches are the worst. They gave a breathing treatment that did nothing but make it feel 10 worse. They also precsriped me an inhaler which just like the breathing treatment was useless. They think it's allergies since I live in west texas. But nothing the have said to do helps. The lights have to be off always or my head will pound. And when I lay down a pressure builds in my chest. I get winded walking shortIdistances. I dont know what else to do. So if you know something about this please help me out. Thank you.
It is not clear that the breathing problem and the headaches are related or not.  An important test to see what is going on with the breathing is to have a Pulmonary Function test.  This test will determine if the breathing problem is due to some obstruction in your lungs or not.  Since the breathing treatment and inhaler did not work, it is possible that the breathing problem is not in your lungs.  
It is possible that you are allergic, but this, too, can be easily determined.  A blood test or skin tests can be a screen to find out if you are allergic or not.  Even if you are allergic, it is still possible that this is not an allergic condition.  However, as this is a problem that could be allergic in nature, it is a good idea to know if you are allergic or not.
Once you have a better idea as to why you are short of breath and possibly if you are highly allergic or not, it will be easier to find a plan of action to help you to control these symptoms.