Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
head, face and neck pain with sinusitis

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

head, face and neck pain with sinusitis
I'm a 49 year old female with sinusitis symptoms.(I get 1-2 sinus infections per year). Right now, I have quite a lot of pain in cheekbones, brows/forehead and also in upper teeth when biting down.Pain in face when bending down. Congestion. No fever. Question #1: I am also experiencing a lot of pain at the base of my skull (top of neck/2" behind the ears) Is this from sinus, too--I don't think there are sinus cavities there--so what causes that pain? Some pain down the side of the neck too--lymph nodes?.   Question #2:  Doctor prescribed Cipro 4 days ago, but I'm not getting better very quickly--in other words the pain is still pretty severe.  Should I go back to get something else, or do I need to give it a little longer? (I have been doing "nasal irrigation" with saline solution, too.)
Thank you so much!
If you do not have good drainage from your sinuses, it is very likely that the sinus pain might continue, despite the use of Cipro® (ciprofloxacin), even though it is the right medicine.  I would give the Cipro® (ciprofloxacin) at least another couple days.

Pain at the base of the skull is usually caused by muscle spasm.  You are correct that there are no sinuses in this location.  You might want to consider the application of heat to your neck along with a massage of the neck.  In the meantime, do keep up the nasal irrigation.
Asthma Tracker
Asthma Tracker
Allergy Tracker
Allergy Tracker