Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
heavy Cough after drinking water

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

heavy Cough after drinking water

I am a 26 year old male and i was diagnosed with TB an year ago.

I had taken full treatment, without missing any dose for 6.5 months and i was cured and told that its all gone.

Now almost after 10 months i have cough again an it is there for 3 weeks now.
I do not have phlem or blood in mucus, or fever. But strangely i did not have these symptoms when TB struck me last time too.
This cough started with symptoms of cold, running-nose etc.
but when it crossed 15days, i got my X-ray done and the doctor declared that its clear.

I have had night sweats and 1.5Kg of weight loss in past 3 days. (but no fever).

Though i will go to the doctor again in 4-5 days, I would like to know-

How long does it take for TB to show up in the X-ray ?
(as last time too i couldnt give a sputum test or AFB because any sputum never came, so the only basis was X-ray because all anitbiotics had failed).

Now my other important question is that like last time, this time too, i begin to cough only when i drink water, and only water!.
Drinking juice triggers mild cough. but neither milk or any syrup etc.
but drinking water, esp. at night triggers a very heavy cough. hard enough that i feel like vomiting (& did vomit when i had TB last time).
I have no cough for hours in the day or its very mild; except when i drink water.

I have tried changing sources of water and its temperature.
Could you please help me to find out what may be the real cause ? or is there a variant of TB which acts like this ?

thank you for your precious time,
regards

Purified protein derivative (PPD) is a skin test for tuberculosis (TB).  For this test a liquid is injected just under the skin.  Dead tuberculosis germs are mixed in this liquid.  If you have been infected with TB, a lump will usually form at the site of the injection.  This is a positive PPD test.  Generally this means that TB germs have infected your body.

If a person has been infected with TB, but they do not have active disease, usually their chest x-ray shows no signs of active disease.  Most people with a positive PPD have a negative chest x-ray.  These people continue to be healthy.  They are not contagious, so they cannot give the TB to anyone else.

With a positive PPD and negative chest x-ray there is a 10% chance of developing active disease in your lifetime.  The percentage is higher during the first few years after your PPD becomes positive.  If your PPD has become positive after you have recently been in close contact with a person who has active disease, you would be given preventive treatment to lower your risk of developing active disease.  Usually preventive treatment is isoniazid (INH) given for 6 to 9 months.  This is unlikely to be TB since you took the preventive treatment without missing any doses for 6.5 months and your chest x-ray is clear.  If your symptoms were due to TB, it would almost certainly be seen on your x-ray now.

Viral infections like a cold can cause inflammation of the nose and sinuses.  This inflammation can cause coughing and postnasal drip.  This is drainage from the nose and sinuses dripping down the back of the throat.  Postnasal drip can cause coughing as a result of throat irritation.  Typically this is worse at night when you lay down to sleep.  Generally this irritation feels the worst when you wake up and gets better as the day goes on.

After the cold is gone, it is possible for the inflammation to linger.  This inflammation can last for several weeks.  Sometimes this inflammation may linger for 3 to 6 months.  Eventually the inflammation will go away, and then the coughing will stop.  This inflammation often clears more quickly when it is treated with a prescription nasal steroid spray.  This may prevent the postnasal drip and coughing.  A nasal steroid spray does not provide immediate relief of symptoms.  It may require several weeks of routine use to become effective.  The cough, only with water, has no special significance.  This cough is most likely a reflection of gradually resolving inflammation of your nose and sinuses.

Should your symptoms persist, careful follow-up would include a repeat chest x-ray in 1 to 2 months, along with a CT scan of your sinuses.
I was relieved to read that somebdy else is adverse to water! Well not relieved, but reassured. I mean it's crazy. I am jin remission from throat cancer and still have great difficulty in swallowing.  Tonight I made some beef and potato and onion and pureed oh-so finely in the blender. As soon as I had a slug of water, hoping that this time it might work, I immediately wanted to vomit.
I waited about ten minutes and then managed to swallow quite a bit with--wait for it--a mug of milky, but strong coffee.
When I was fierast diagnosed with cancer five years ago I drank gallons of water. Now it makes my throat sore. It is as if I have developed a subconscious allergy to it.
But I can't drink coffee all the time. Prefer water. Tea is fine too but all the caffeine is not good.
Oh what the heck! I hope your problems are resolving themselves.
Do let me know and I hope the TB hasn't come back.

Ishbel
A related discussion, cough after drinking water was started.
A related discussion, cough only after drinking water was started.