Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
heavy feeling in chest

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

heavy feeling in chest

Last week I traveled to North Carolina to the beach for vacation.  While I was there, I began to experience a heavy feeling in my chest.  It is not painful but it just feels like there is pressure on my chest.  I am breathing normally and I don't feel the need to cough or anything.  I'm not experiencing any nausea or dizziness.  I would just like some idea as to what this could be.  A few people have suggested that the humid southern air could have gotten into my lungs and it's just taking a while to adjust to being back home.  Any ideas?
We would hesitate to attribute this "heavy feeling" to the "humid southern air".  You should think back to the physical activities you engaged in, while at the beach, that could have resulted in muscle strain of the muscles of the chest wall.  Or the heavy feeling could be unrelated to the trip.

You should seek medical examination of your chest and request a chest x-ray.  Since such non-specific pain can also result from disease of any of the structures within the chest and the doctor may also want to perform an electrocardiogram (EKG) to rule out pericarditis or, depending on your age, the pain of coronary artery disease.

Good luck.