Respiratory Disorders Community
hiatal hernia
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung and respiratory issues, allergies, asthma, bronchitis, colds/flu, chronic cough, COPD, lung abscess, nasal polyps, pleurisy, pneumonia, sarcoidosis, and tuberculosis.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

hiatal hernia

I have a large hiatal hernia.  When I have had a chest x-ray, radiologists have commented on the size.  I also have trouble catching my breath when climbing stairs.  I also have some bouts of bradycardia.  One of the radiologists commented he didn't know how I could take a deep breath with half of my stomach in my chest.

My question is:  Can a hiatal hernia interfere with breathing?

Thank you.
Related Discussions
2 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
Yes, it can.  It can also cause acid reflux which goes up into the throat and lungs causing asthma like symptoms (but not true asthma unles you do have asthma).  Has anyone mentioned having it fixed?

Blank
symptoms are identical to mine.  i have had hiatal hernia for quite a few years. many doctors have commented how lg my hernia was.  but that was it, with no advise as  to what i should  do.  recently, a few weeks i have developed difficulty breathing with walking a few steps.  do you think surgery is in my future.    granny 9620
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Respiratory Disorders Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
How to Silence Your Inner Critic an...