My son has severe allergies that have always been under control until the last 2 months. He has been on 3 different antibiotics, 3 doses of oral steroids and in the hospital 2 times in this period. He is currently finishing his antibiotic treatment, xopenex every 4 hours, pulmicort neb tx's 2 x daily, singulair in am, zertec in pm, astelin nose spray 2 x daily and sinus rinses 3 x daily. He continues to produce (cough up) thick clear frothy sputum just about every hour. I cant stop the allergy reaction causing the thick mucous. I am scared that when the antibiotics are out in a couple of days. the clear sputum will again become infected. Poor kid has not been out but maybe 10 minutes a day, and most of the time he has had a mask on when he goes outside. He has been tested for pertussis and tb, both negative. The allergist couldn't do allergy skin testing because his lung function test was only at 45%. His blood allergy test did show up positive to alot of allergens and the allergist said that his AIG index (or some kind of index) showed him at over 2000, which the doctor said was extremely high. Does anyone know how to stop the mucous? I feel like I'm overdosing my child with so many meds, and still no relief.
Just wondering how old your son is and what sort of climate you live in. Are the allergies environmental or food related?
Have you seeked out any sort of alternative therapies? I have had a lot of success for myself with acupuncture but my situation is not so extreme. I feel for you, I know how difficult it is to watch your child in such great discomfort. My son had several issues as well. Good Luck finding help for him.
Thanks for the reply. I was just spraying the house and curtains down with allergy reducer. I am frantically trying anything I can to help my son. He just turned 10 years old. I live in the Houston area and he was recently blood tested for food and environmental allergies. He test positive for both. The allergist wanted to perform the allergy skin test but can't at this time. It is really sad because my son has a brother that is a year older, and sometimes he suffers as well because his brother can't do alot of things. I have been making my son wear a mask when he goes outside...of course alot of people assume that he is contagious. I just am trying to keep the allergens from being inhaled. Thanks for your comments.
Hi Pam, I have adult onset asthma and went to a naturopathic doctor, not a medical doctor for help as the medication Singulair almost killed me as well as all of the other meds. Since I was a child and as an adult I also had severe ear infections that sent me to the er. I got help from a great man, Dr. John McDougall and he told me to cut out milk and ice cream, I did and haven't had an ear infection for 10 years. Then almost two years ago the Doctors (medical) diagnosed me with adult onset asthma cause by mold allergy. So after a series of horrid pharmaceuticals, I went to a Naturopathic Doctor who helped me get rid of te wheezing and most of the mucous production that caused it. I was taken off all dairy products, not just milk and cheese, but all, also no soy as it can also cause the same problem. I took lots of digestive enzymes which helps break stuff down in your body and a lot of good acidophilus supplements. What are the antibiotics for? They will just create more havoc with your son's immune system, please give him acidophilus. Stop all sugar, that also causes mucous, use stevia which doesn't taste as good but your son needs to be healthy and all of those drugs are going to change the course of his health onto adulthood, Please see a good and reputable Naturopath Doctor. Food is very often the culprit of all our problems. Make sure your son also drinks 8 glasses if not more of water per day no matter how much he hates it. That will also break down the mucous that makes him cough his heart out and it will be easier to expel. Sugar is poison, and causes colds and mucous production. Suppressing his symptoms is only temporary, common sense and good supplements will change his life, it did mine. When I go back to my cheese and sugar, it starts over so now I know what my allergy is. It is so common. Good luck to you and your son. Keep us posted on his progress.
Copyright 1994-2016 MedHelp International. All rights reserved.
MedHelp is a division of Aptus Health.
This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information.
The Content on this Site is presented in a summary fashion, and is intended to be used for educational and entertainment purposes only. It is not intended to be and should not be interpreted as medical advice or a diagnosis of any health or fitness problem, condition or disease; or a recommendation for a specific test, doctor, care provider, procedure, treatment plan, product, or course of action. Med Help International, Inc. is not a medical or healthcare provider and your use of this Site does not create a doctor / patient relationship. We disclaim all responsibility for the professional qualifications and licensing of, and services provided by, any physician or other health providers posting on or otherwise referred to on this Site and/or any Third Party Site. Never disregard the medical advice of your physician or health professional, or delay in seeking such advice, because of something you read on this Site. We offer this Site AS IS and without any warranties. By using this Site you agree to the following Terms and Conditions. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your physician or 911 immediately.