Respiratory Disorders Community
how long is it safe to leave pleurisy untreated?
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung and respiratory issues, allergies, asthma, bronchitis, colds/flu, chronic cough, COPD, lung abscess, nasal polyps, pleurisy, pneumonia, sarcoidosis, and tuberculosis.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

how long is it safe to leave pleurisy untreated?

I went to my Dr. last week with some chest pains and shortness of breath. She ran a chest X-ray, blood work, and echocardiogram. She mentioned she thought I might have pleurisy due to possible autoimmune disorder. But I haven't received the results of the tests and she has now closed her office for vacation for a week. My question is, is it safe to leave pleurisy untreated that long?  I'm feeling worse everyday.
Related Discussions
Hi, generally, the pain of pleurisy is treated with an NSAID (if you are not allergic to them).  Other than that, treat the underliing disease that is causing the pleurisy so that healing can begin.

Did your doctor explain that pleurisy is inflamation (inflammation) of the pleura (lining surounding the lungs and lung cavity)?   When it gets inflamed, pain results when the two layers rub against each other.  In some cases pleural effusion (fluid in the space between the lung cavity walls and the lungs) can occur and this will require more immediate and direct treatment.  

Has your doctor given you anything to treat a cough or other symptom that may becausing the inflamation (inflammation)?

I am not a doctor, but I have had pleurisy MANY times.

God bless.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Respiratory Disorders Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank