Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
hyperinflated lungs

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

hyperinflated lungs
I have COPD with an FEV1 of 47%.  Lately I've been feeling bloated like watermelon.  It feels like both my chest and my stomach are very filled with air.  Does anybody in here know if this is how hyperinflated lungs make a person feel?  If you have never had hyperinflated lungs then please dont attempt to answer this question--after all--how could you know!
The bloating may or may not be related to your chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) but it is a common symptom, especially following meals.  However, there are other causes of bloating and you should see your doctor to look for and rule-out the other possibilities, including gastrointestinal (GI) disease.  It can also be related to air swallowing, especially if you eat fast, or due to exercise.  Eating fast or eating large meals at a setting can also aggravate hyperinflation.

Many people with COPD experience “dynamic hyperinflation” with exercise; that is, hyperinflated lungs in the resting state, become even more hyperinflated as air is retained in the lungs with each breath when breathing is rapid.  One way to counter this air retention is to use “pursed lip breathing”.  You should discuss all of this with your doctor.

Good luck.
Asthma Tracker
Asthma Tracker
Allergy Tracker
Allergy Tracker