Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
hyperinflation on chest xray

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

hyperinflation on chest xray

I have a question: I have had althsma for years and have it under pretty good control with inhalers. I did a routine chest xray, it showed "hyperinflation". The xray technician told me to take a deep breath before taking the xray, and I took a really deep one - does "hyperinflation" simply reflect the fact that I took a deep breath, or does it have some clinical significance? Would any follow up tests be recommended?
Hyperinflation of the lungs means air is trapped in the small airways so the lungs appear larger than usual on the chest x-ray.  This simply means that you were breathing hard when the chest x-ray was taken.  In the short term, it really does not mean anything serious.  This is a very common finding when asthma is poorly controlled, like during an asthma attack.  This same finding is seen in the lungs of chronic smokers.  It can also be due to a virus.  Unless you are a long time smoker, the hyperinflation may mean nothing more than that you need to be checked to be sure your asthma is optimally controlled.

i was a chronic chest breather for years. I didn't use my diaphragm properly. In order to take a deep breath I overinflated my chest. This led to hyperventilation and panik attackes. I think when your upper chest expand you get a signal that you can' get anough breath so you try harder and enter a visciuos cycle. A few proper low slow diaphragm breaths sort it out. I had several frightening episodes that ended up in hospital - it felt like drowning and that led to massive adrenhalin and so called "panic" attacks. breathing retrainnig with a physio helped - and lots of practice. Also found that food allergies affected my stomach - bloating made it harder for the diaphragm to work against. Avoiding wheat gluten and soy cured the stomach and sinus/mucous problems and breathing has never been easier.