Respiratory Disorders Community
hyperinflation

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung and respiratory issues, allergies, asthma, bronchitis, colds/flu, chronic cough, COPD, lung abscess, nasal polyps, pleurisy, pneumonia, sarcoidosis, and tuberculosis.

hyperinflation

I was just told by the doctor viewing the Chest X ray that I have a problem called slight hyperinflation. I have never had Asthma, I do not smoke nor am I around anyone that smokes. I went to the doctor because I was tired all the time and I was having trouble getting a good breath. What other reasons would I have slight hyperinflation?
Just because you haver never had asthma, doesn't stop you from getting it.

Hyperinflation is the trapping of air in the lungs. Essentially you can't get out totally, what you have breathed in.

It is seen in COPD, (Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease) and, especially, emphysema.

Whether or not it is also seen in other conditions, I don't know, but would have thought your doctor would have explained the reason, or if not, sent you for a Spirometry Test (a simple breathing test) and/or Pulmonary Function Tests.