Respiratory Disorders Community
increased interstitial and perihilar markings on x-ray. what are these?...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung and respiratory issues, allergies, asthma, bronchitis, colds/flu, chronic cough, COPD, lung abscess, nasal polyps, pleurisy, pneumonia, sarcoidosis, and tuberculosis.

increased interstitial and perihilar markings on x-ray. what are these? o

i had a chest x-ray done and it said mild prominence of these markings and the v/q scan showed some mild retention and hyperinflation.

what are these?
hyperinflation = COPD.  I would request a pulmonary function test (PFT).  Do you smoke?  Did you have asthma as a child? these are just a few of the reasons for hyperinflation.
ive had a PFT done. did very well. im 25 years old too. had a CT scan (w/o contrast) and all was clear as well.  i dont smoke but been exposed to 2nd hand smoke thoughout most of my life with my mom's heavy smoking.
oops and no, i never had childhood asthma. no breathing problems then.
i was born with a mild pulmonary artery stenosis though. 'supposedly' i have since outgrown this.
heres what it said for the chest x-ray...

well, everything else was normal, except this:

"there is minimal prominence of the interstitial and perihilar
markings. There is mild hyperaeration. There are no definite
consolidative infiltrates, CHF, pleural effusion, or pneumothoraces.
No active infiltrates."

ok, whats this hyperaeration and the markings thing about?

ok, now onto the VQ scan results.. im just gonna skip to the problems
they mentioned, otherwise everything else is normal:

"there is mild retention on the washout phase which cold be related to
mild reactive airway disease. "

everything else was normal. no defects, etc.
I'm confused. How do you get your reports. Did MD give. Did MD not explain to you. If did, do you trust their knowledge and advice? If not, please you need to seek a second opinion. Sounds like you are worrying so you truly are going to make your self sicker. Please discuss with MD and if you don't understand what says, they owe it to you to explain to where you do understand. When reports are released to people before the MD has had the chance to discuss findings with patient, many times there is undue worry. Concerned about how you are. Hope everything turned out to be alright. Anyone with any update or info?
ignore American508, I reported his post for abuse.

Ok dude here is what it means.  You have some mild fluid markings in the area around the areas of your left and right mainstem bronchus...meaning mid lung toward the side closest the sternum....hyperaeration jsut means you have more air ie bigger or more expanded lungs than normal...which by their report is again mild....

reactive airway disease is sometimes used interchangably with asthma, could also just mean you have been coughing a lot of have some inflammation, or suseptable to having stuff like dust make you cough...but its not necessarily asthma.

your PFT should have include a pre & post bronchodilator, it would show if you have any reaction to a bronchodilator...one of the screening tests for asthma...there is also a methacholine test too to check for asthma.

If I was reading those results on a patient I was about to see, I wouldnt be too worried, depending on the full clinical picture...Im sure you have already discussed this with your physician since this is an old thread
does ant one know any thing about mild peri-hilar shadowing and upper lobe blood divertion suggesting pulminary venous congestion??? please help