Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
infant allergy medications

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

infant allergy medications

My daughter is 7 months old and 18.5 lbs.  She suffers from allergies (grass, ragweed etc).  Are there any medications used to treat allergies and their sypmtoms at this age?
It is very uncommon for infants to be allergic to pollens.  The reason for this is that because of their age and immune system, and the length of time for exposure, it is unlikely to have this type of allergy in infants.  The more common types of allergy in infants relate to milk and dust mite.  However, it appears that your daughter is having some types of symptoms.  Generally, we reserve medications until the symptoms cause problems with normal life activities. If there are problems with feeding or problems with sleeping, medication therapy can be offered.  Antihistamines in very small doses, monitored by a physician are safe and effective for controlling many nasal types of symptoms.  It appears from your daughter's weight, that she is feeding well and gaining weight appropriately.
Work with your physician to determine the next steps.
Good luck.
I, too, was told that my son was too young to be allergic to ragweed, etc., at one year of age.  He had been brought to the doctor 3 times in 3 months for a cough between the ages of 3-5 months.  Two years later, he tested positive for allergies to ragweed and grass.

Trust your instinct.  Well, with that said, my son was not given an antihistamine until he was just shy of two because, as the allergist said, since he was reacting to the allergens, antihistamines would not work.  They need to be in the body BEFORE full-blown allergy reactions are present. (My son had constant ear infections due to his allergies)

As of June 2000 my son still tested negative for allergies to trees and mold.  March (trees) is always a bad time of year for him (trees) and September-October is an absolute nightmare (mold and ragweed)  

Good luck.
Jill
My daughter is 9 months old and she has severe allergy to dust mites my entire apartment is carpet and her doctor don't want to give her anything because she is too young but I can't take the stuffy nose and the night time coughing and not sleeping.

I need help is there anything I can give her besides the albuterol