Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
infrahilar density

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

infrahilar density

My mother has had a cold, UR, for several days in the nursing center where she resides. Many of the other residents have this as well, with cough being the main symptom and lack of energy. My mother is 86. They have taken two xrays and have gotten unsatisfactory results. Today they did one which was reported as:  Right infrahilar density. Now they want to do a CT Scan. My mother has advanced Parkinson's, is a very frightful person, and is unable to walk now. In searching about this infrahilar density I found that it could be lymphadenopathy, a lung mass, sarcoidosis. What can you tell me about this? thanks for any information to relieve my mind. dd
Tags: ct scan
As you have determined, an infra-hilar density could be a lung mass or tumor, enlarged lymph nodes or an infectious process, such as pneumonia.  Sarcoidosis is rarely unilateral.  Sounds like your mother has what everybody else has, an infectious disease.

You and your mother should discuss her condition and the appropriateness of further testing and treatment.  This decision should be in accordance with her wishes.  You mention that she has advanced Parkinson's disease and is unable to walk.  She may or may not want to have further testing but it should be noted that, while somewhat arduous for an older person, a CT scan is non-invasive and might provide enough information to enable her doctors to distinguish between the most likely diagnoses.  For example, if this appears to be pneumonia, antibiotic therapy might be feasible.  If it appears highly likely that this mass or density is cancer, that could also influence your decision making.

This is a situation that demands a frank, wide-ranging discussion with your mother's doctors regarding the most likely diagnosis, the odds that it could be treated successfully and her willingness to undergo even more tests, including bronchoscopy.  Consideration of quality of life, dependent upon her decisions, would be important.
1 Comment
A related discussion, Abnormal PET/CT was started.