Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
ingesting food particle into lungs??

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

ingesting food particle into lungs??

okay this is pretty dumb but last night i did the "cinnamon challenge" its when you eat a tablespoon of cinnamon and try to get it all down. Most people cough it right out, well i did that. After i did that i kept sneezing cinnamon and on my left nostrile was bothering me. Im guessing the cinnamon came out that one because that nostrile was very ticklish. later that night this one spot in the middle of my ribcage feels very sharp. Its only on my right side, i dont know if its a muscle tear, my lung, or my rib. It a very very sharp pain. Ive had this feeling before when you pull a muscle and you have very short painful breaths, but this is all the time pain. Even when im just sitting. It hurts most when im moving. Do you think I got cinnamon in my right lung? should i go to the doctor? i feel very stupid, and wont do this again. When i take deep breaths it doesnt hurt that bad, its mostly when im moving. Thanks for listening!
Tags: Lung, pains, food, side
It is most likely to be a muscle or intercostal ligament tear located between the ribs, although that should usually hurt worse with deep breaths.  Cinnamon in the lungs should not cause pain, especially sharp pain.  The other possibility is that you may have a pneumothorax, which is air in the chest with a collapsed lung.  Given the persistence, constancy and severity of the pain, you should probably get a chest x-ray, unless by the time you get this message, the pain is already subsiding and you are not experiencing shortness of breath.
If you got any forum substance in your lungs you would immediately start coughing very hard, so hard it hurts, but that is your body's reaction to get the food out of your lung. I do thing quite often because of bad GERD's, the opening at my esophagus is loose and does not always close properly so if I accidentally breath in while eating I get food in there. It is quite painful and won't stop until it is coughed out. So I doubt you got any in your lungs.
A related discussion, inhaled salmon with pine nuts and sund tomatoes was started.
A related discussion, coughing continuously was started.