inhalation wheeze
I usually get bronchitis once or twice a year, and I can always tell it is bronchitis because when I exhale forcefully, I hear rales/crackles and there is lots of mucus to cough up.

But this time, there are no rales/crackles and there is very little mucus.   However, there is a high-pitched wheeze when I inhale (but not when I exhale) and it gets much worse at night.  

I was recently around a lot of dust and secondhand cigarette smoke at an outdoor event last weekend (and I have allergies) but it has been 7 days since my exposure to the dust / smoke and I am still coughing/wheezing.    I am particularly concerned about this wheeze upon inhaling as I have never had this symptom before.   I don't have insurance and would rather not spend a bunch of money at the doctor's if this is something that will go away on its own, but the wheezing upon inhaling is starting to worry me.   I don't have a fever or anything and mucus/nasal secretions are fairly clear.    How serious is inhalation wheezing?