Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
is surgery possible and a good option

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

is surgery possible and a good option

I have had problems breathing for 25 or more years.  My chest xrays show an elevated diaphragm on one side, I had a Dr. tell me that I had asthma, although I knew that I didn't even took meds for a short time.  I had a sniff test that showed that my diaphragm to be  paralyzed.  I would love to be able to breathe, short walks and even talking can be difficult, is surgery an option and would it fix the paralysis or has it just been too long to see any change?
Thank you.
Surgery is an option and the name of the surgical procedure is, diaphragm placation.  This type of surgery should only be performed by surgeons with much experience and skill, in the performance of this procedure. It can be effective, even after many years of having a paralyzed hemi-diaphragm.  It does not reverse the paralysis; it just increases your lung capacity.  

You may or may not have asthma.  You should see a lung specialist (pulmonologist), also preferably one experienced in the management of diaphragmatic paralysis to assess both the question of asthma and the appropriateness, benefits and risks of having the surgery.

Good luck