Respiratory Disorders Community
itchy back from coughing

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung and respiratory issues, allergies, asthma, bronchitis, colds/flu, chronic cough, COPD, lung abscess, nasal polyps, pleurisy, pneumonia, sarcoidosis, and tuberculosis.

itchy back from coughing

I am a 26 year old male. On occasion (maybe once a week) I have a coughing spell...the cough is very chesty and almost feels like I'm clearing my throat. It only lasts a few minutes, but my main issue is that every time I get this cough I have severe itching on the right side of my chest and the same side of my upper back (as far as location, it almost feels that if you drilled a hole straight through the itch on my chest that you would touch the itch on my back). Each time I cough it itches even more. The itching is so severe that I scratch the spot on my chest and the spot on my back until it is raw. I have had this problem ever since I can remember, so I currently have scars in these places from all of the scratching. I am unsure if this is a normal side effect from coughing, or if it is something I really need to look into. I currently have no health insurance and would really appreciate an opinion on the issue. this question was asked before but no answer was given. it is happening to me now what 2 do?

Hi there illtelya.

I've had the same experiences for as long as I can remember as well. I've been researching it and haven't found out anyhting. Have you recived any info on hte strange phenom??

Wow I thought I was the only one!  It happens every now and then when i have a sneezing fit.  It freaks me out like maybe somethings in my chest
I have something similar.  Right now I have a respiratory type cold w/ coughing and after a while of coughing, my whole back will itch.  Also, this happens pretty much every time I'm sick with this type of cold.  I wonder if it has something to do w/ oxygen levels??  
This has started happening to me as well.  A short-lived bronchitis-ish coughing spell with an intense itching in one spot between my shoulder blades.  I'm almost positive that is allergic in nature.  It always happens when I spend the night at my girlfriend's house and eat cereal for breakfast.
I have been experiencing the exact thing!
It feels like a deep itching sensation in my back (lung area) no matter how much i scratch it doesn't help. I tend to only get it when i have a cold or my allergies are not controlled. I also have mild asthma so it maybe linked to that as i have heard of some asthmatics complain of an itchy back?? Anyone find out what is causing this??
You should get tested for copd, I read it as being a symptom whilst checking for myself. I'm going to ask my doctor for a chest xray or ct this week.
hi, did you ever get to the bottom of the itching on your back? i have had the same thing for a number of years now and no one seems to have even heard about it let alone know what causes it. all i know is it shouldnt be happening otherwise many people would experience the same thing or at least one or two people you know personaly would have experienced the itching too.
if you or anyone els reading this can enlighten me or anyone who suffers with this condition, please contact me and let me know, should i be worried?, i'm not sure what to think.
thanks andy
***@****
hi i am 30 yrs old male from india.i am having some problem since more than 1.5 years.i do throat clearing all the time .more throat clearing after eating. as if a small mucus is stucked in my throat,which is not comming out.i was admitted for this in hospital.they have lots of tests including ct scan of chest,mri scan of throat,barium meal,endoscopy,24 hr esophagal ph monitoring,usg,blood tests.all are normal.no GERD.what should i do now?
please help me.

one thing i must tell u.this started at sep.2009.at that time,one day i sprayed baygon spray(for killing bugs and moquitoes) in my room ,and then i had to sleep in that room.since then my problem increased.there was some smell of spray.

i am doing this for 1 and half years.now i cant cough and hawk anymore.pls help. ..

I just started getting this too..with a dry cough...any answers yet as to what causes it?
i have a cold at the moment and when i cough i get an itchy back just at the bottom of my ribs. it drives me nuts cos i just wont stop!
im also wondering what this may be a sign of??
I have the same problem. i thought I was insane! check out this page. http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Why_does_your_back_itch_after_you_cough_a_bunch#page1
I have had this for 6 months now following a series of colds flu and bronchitis late last year. It's very frustrating. The only thing I find that provides relief is using one of those dry brushes and scratching.
Just in case any of you didn't get to the bottom of this. I've started having the same symptoms so I Googgled it and found this. http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Why_does_your_back_itch_after_you_cough_a_bunch