Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
last stages copd

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

last stages copd

when my father was in the hospital they told us that his lung was collasped because of the copd. he already sees a lung specialist. i also know that the information you are giving me may not be of any help in his case. but we were just wondering what to look for. he has had a breathing test done since i wrote to you and we are to go back on 7-11-2006 to see his doctor for this. what type of mediciation would they give him if hospice started coming out to check on him? how do you really tell if he is in his last days what are some things to look for? thank you for your help.i found some information on the internet but would like to know a little more without having to ask his doctor in front of him.
If your father is deemed by his doctor to be terminal, narcotics or tranquilizers could be given to ease his shortness of breath.  The results of his breathing test alone cannot tell how much longer your father may have to live.  It is helpful to also look at his general strength, alertness, appetite, energy level, weight loss, responsiveness to you and others, etc.

Ask to talk to your father
I am 82 and probably in the last stages of something.

Have had emphyzema for 36 years and COPD for two years.

Gave up smoking a year ago.It was too embarrasing to lie on the floor of an emergency room trying to breathe.

An important thing for you father is to see you and to know that you are in good shape to handle your own future.

Sig  

A related discussion, copd the end was started.
A related discussion, COPD/Emphysema last stages was started.