Respiratory Disorders Community
low O2 in children

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung and respiratory issues, allergies, asthma, bronchitis, colds/flu, chronic cough, COPD, lung abscess, nasal polyps, pleurisy, pneumonia, sarcoidosis, and tuberculosis.

low O2 in children

I have a 3 year old daughter who has been hospitalized or seen a doctor for fevers, pneumonia, bronchitis, etc, a number of times in the last year. Nine months ago she was hospitalized for 5 days and sent home on oxygen, then again this weekend the same thing. During the day her O2 sats are about 92% w/o additional oxygen, and during the night she has dipped as low as 74% with her heartrate up to 188bpm. She was sick, but is feeling better, but still she hovers around 92% during her waking hours, and an average of 86% to 88% asleep. The doctors here just don't seem to look at the big picture with her, they treat her for each individual case, and I am scared about the whole history. Is the strain on her little heart permanant? I don't want her treated and sent home.....I want to know why.
Tags: O2, child, Heart, scared
Have the doctors run tests on her to see why she is getting so many pneumonias and bronchitis? If not, then it might be a good idea if they did. Tests to consider are those for immune system function as well as other disorders that would predispose someone to many lung infections such as cystic fibrosis or CF. Test for immunodeficiencies are done via the blood, CF can be diagnosed through a sweat test as well as a blood test to look for genetic mutations.  Docs will usually do the sweat test first when looking for CF and then move on to genetic profiling if that result is borderline or negative.
I am not a doctor, just a former nurse who has had her share of lung issues, including CF.
I hope you find answers...this has got to be most frustrating for you.
Jenn