Respiratory Disorders Community
low lung capacity

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung and respiratory issues, allergies, asthma, bronchitis, colds/flu, chronic cough, COPD, lung abscess, nasal polyps, pleurisy, pneumonia, sarcoidosis, and tuberculosis.

low lung capacity

I am a nonsmoker and I have been treated for asthma for the last 12 years.  Have had broncitis at least once pretty much every winter.  Had pneumonua last winter.  Been treated with Pretisone and antibiotics two times this past 6 months for breathing problems.  Went to pulminary clinic and was told I have 45% lung capacity.  Waiting on CT scan, and blood test results and waiting on scheduled echo cardiagram test.  Was changed to different asthma medicine.  At present have shortness of breath and light headed.  Need to take Albuteral more often to function.  I work in a Shipyard.  Was in the Navy for 21 years and was exposed to asbestos multiple times.
While you await tests, start doing anulom vilom pranayam(alternate nostril breathing) , to build up the lung function with extra oxygen. Keep your eyes closed, and it is  2.5 seconds to inhale, and 2.5 seconds to exhale. Do for one minute initially, and then build up your timing up to 20 minutes, twice a day.
February 22 ,2012
Avatar dr f tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

The breathlessness could be due to cardiac or lung disorders. Breathlessness on exertion could be due to the decreased lung function. Since you have been exposed to a dusty environment, it would be worthwhile to get yourself evaluated for occupational lung disorders. In the meantime, follow your doctor's advice and continue with inhalers. To improve lung function practice breathing exercises and quit smoking.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.