low lung volumes
I am a 47 year old female who had been investigated several times for pulmonary hypertension as I have an elevated pressure on echo(51). right heart catheterization is normal though. I remain quite short of breath on exertion and have a chronic cough. On my last pft's the only abnormality was a low residual volume of 1.09 which was 69% predicted. The report said this could be explained by normal age decline. I googled it and all I found was that the lung volumes should increase with age! All my lung volume measurements were lower than a year ago. Anyone know anything about this?
Residual Volume is the amount of air left in the lungs even when we try to blow it all out. Low volume can be from Asthma to Emphysema. Height plays a part in this also. A normal value of RV is 1.1 in women. You are a tenth of a point being perfect. No need to worry about this!! Hope this helps.