Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
lung granuloma CT scan

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

lung granuloma CT scan

Hi - I had some minor chest sensation (pain would be too strong of a word) in January; I couldn't tell if it was in the pectoral muscle or internal. So I went to a general MD, who recommended a CT scan from an 'unknown' on a chest xray. She said it could be an enlarged vein, or "something else." The radiologist looking at the CT scan said I had a granuloma nodule in my lung--common and not something to worry about. But the MD recommended another CTscan in 6months, just to be safe. In the meantime, I was denied health insurance. So the question is twofold:

1) is a granuloma something to be really concenred about? is the MD's recommendation sound practice, or just self-indemnification?

2) is there any way to convince a insurance company that it's OK without getting another CTscan (which, besides the expense, I understand exceeds healthy radiation exposure limits). Just another chest Xray?

Thanks for your help +
A nodule is usually a small, round shadow seen on chest x-ray anywhere in the lungs.  Nodules are due to infections, inflammation, or tumors.  A granuloma is a small cluster or nodule of inflammation that can occur in any area of the body, including the lungs.  If this inflammation leaves behind a scar this is also called a granuloma.  This inflammation could be due to an infection.  Both nodules and granulomas are common in certain parts of the United States.  Fungal infections are a common cause of nodules and granulomas in the mid-west due to Histoplasmosis and in the southwest due to Coccidioidomycosis also called valley fever.

Since tumors can be one cause of nodules and granulomas they are generally checked periodically over time to be sure that they are staying the same.  When there is change the goal is to notice the change early so that further testing can be done.  Then treatment can be started as soon as possible when it will be most helpful.  So your doctor
I am faced with the same type situation and like you are looking for some answers.  I recently had a chest xray which indicated "small dense nodules seen scattered throughout the chest most consistent with small granuloma".  I found the following information on the web and have posted a question to gather more specifics regarding my test results.  Hopefully the following will help get you one step closer to an understanding.  

GRANULOMA: A special type of INFLAMMATION characterized by accumulations of macrophages, some of which coalesce into "giant cells." Granulomatous inflammation is especially characteristic of tuberculosis, some deep fungal infections (like histoplasmosis and coccidioidomycosis), sarcoidosis (a disease of unknown cause), and reaction to foreign bodies.

Nodules are due to infections, inflammation, or tumors. It
I am replying to the comments on Granulomas as I had one removed from my lung almost 3 years ago.  a chest xray in the er room showed a lump on my right lung.  I was sent for the lung scan, then a lung biopsy, then they thougth it neccessary to remove the spot to see if it was cancerous through a horrible surgery.  It was not cancer, they never could tell me what the granuloma was caused by, and I have a permanent long and sometimes painful scar across my back.  We will never know what caused the granuloma even though they did extensive testing on it.  I was having it xrayed 2 times a year to see if it was coming back, but so far it has not and I have stopped the xrays by not going.  Be careful when a doctor suggests immediate surgery to check on these as was my case.  Do your homework first as the surgery itself can kill you.  I feel in my case it was not really neccessary to rule out cancer as the biopsy was showing no cancer cells.  Just do some investigating first.
A related discussion, Lung Granuloma and Thyroid Nodules was started.
A related discussion, Lung Granulomas was started.
A related discussion, lung granuloma was started.
A related discussion, granuloma in the lung was started.
A related discussion, granuloma was started.
A related discussion, chnaging lung granulomas was started.
A related discussion, Hodgkin`s Disease was started.
A related discussion, shortness of breath - cause was started.
I was also diagnosed with this through a ct last week. I have sarcoid.