Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
lung nodules

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

lung nodules

My doctor told me I have lung nodules after a CT scan for another issue. She said not to worry because they are small and she will repeat scan in 6 months. I do have Rhuematoid Arthritis. Should I be. Concerned my sister died of lung cancer but she was a heavy smoker
I assume that the nodules are in both lungs.   Multiple lung nodules are not characteristic of lung cancer, especially when bilateral.  The type of nodules you describe fall within the spectrum of what is called Rheumatoid Lung Disease, so these nodules might be a part of rheumatoid arthritis.  I suggest that you consider the following:  Assuming that your doctor is a primary care physician or a family physician, that you ask to see the full report of the CT scan and the opinion of the radiologist who interpreted the scan.  That you and your doctor request a 2nd opinion from a lung specialist and then finally, that you request the opinion of the physician who treats you for the arthritis about whether these nodules are of a type likely to be seen with Rheumatoid Lung Disease.

The suggestion of your doctor that the scan be repeated in 6 months may well be consistent with good medical practice but a second opinion could serve a useful purpose by putting your mind at ease.

Good luck
I got a copy of the radiologist report says I have noncalcified lung nodules at the base of both lungs from 4mm the largest being 6.5mm I sent the report to my Rhuemotologist he seems to feel it is a benign condition to they said some are subpleural?   recommended the repeat CT scan in 6 months.  Just concerned my sister died of lung and liver but she was a heavy smoker of non filtered cigarettes. I had smoked for about 10 years but quit over 25 years ago.  I am a 62 year old lady.The CT showed my liver and pancreas and gallbladder to be ok with no issues.