Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
lung nodules

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

lung nodules

i have multiple nodules in my lungs. the sizes are anywhere from 2mm to 1cm. i think they said there's 10 of them all together. they have been monitored with ct scan for about 1year-1 and a half year. haven't grown or changed so far. so my question is, how big is the chance of them still starting to grow now or is there still a big chance of them beeing cancer? thanks in advance.it's time again for my ct scan and i am getting very nervous.
A nodule is usually a small, round shadow seen on chest x-ray anywhere in the lungs.  Nodules are due to infections, inflammation, or tumors.  A chest CT scan is usually the next test that is done because it is more sensitive and shows more detail than a chest x-ray.  The shape, smoothness, and density of the nodule will be seen on the CT scan.  These nodules are very unlikely to be cancer since they are 1 centimeter or less in size.  Since the nodules have not doubled in size over the past year and a half they are highly unlikely to be cancer.

A nodule must not change for 2 years to be considered stable.  A nodule that will eventually grow may be stable for 6 months.  The important thing is that these have not grown after 6 months.  So it is appropriate to repeat the CT scan in 6 months, again in another 6 months, and then, if no change is seen repeating the CT scan 2 years from when the nodules were first discovered.
what if the nodule size is not stable, I think I have same problem and for 2 years it was stale, but now it seems to be growing 1mm each month, I know the size is still small, but what is the solution if it is increasing, and have 10 multiple nodules? Appreciate your time adn advice. I am visiting a doctor in Houston, but he does not have any other patients like me adn says he too is new to this kind of problem. What is the medication ot options left for me?
A related discussion, CT scan results was started.
A related discussion, lung nodes, small, multiple was started.