Respiratory Disorders Community
lungs

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung and respiratory issues, allergies, asthma, bronchitis, colds/flu, chronic cough, COPD, lung abscess, nasal polyps, pleurisy, pneumonia, sarcoidosis, and tuberculosis.

lungs

I had tb as a child,and was told i had a scar left on my lung from the tb, I was in hospital in dec 07 and had to have a chest xray because i get breathless, i was told that the bottom half of one of my lungs is not functioning at all,from the effects of the tb, is this why i get out of breath so much all of the time, thanks wendy
Avatar n tn
There are tiny sacs at the base of the lungs, called alveoli, where gas exchange happens. This means carbon dioxide is exchanged for oxygen and vice versa. In with the good out with bad. Unfortunately , when people can't get this gas exchange through these alveoli, be it from scarring from TB or people who smoke, which damages the alveoli, you will have low oxygen levels in your blood which in turn will cause shortness of breath. There's a quick test called pulse oximetry which is just a infrared finger probe that is placed on your finger that will give a quick overview as to how well your oxygenating and this will open some doors as to maybe possibly getting some supplemental oxygen for when you can't breathe. Also, maybe a bronchodilator such as Albuterol may help when you can't catch your breath. I hope this helps.