Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
moderate emphysema, fibrosis, and achalesia
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

moderate emphysema, fibrosis, and achalesia

I have just been diagnosed with moderate emphysema, fibrosis, and achalesia and I am very upset since I have NEVER smoked in my entire 50 years of life.  My father smoked while I lived at home for 20 of those years and he was a heavy smoker.  Do you know of any one else who this has ever happened to?  My only symptom was and continues to be a cough.
Related Discussions
251132_tn?1198082422
The first thing is to be sure that moderate emphysema really is your problem.  Emphysema is not determined by an x-ray alone.  You will need pulmonary function tests.  It is very uncommon for non-smokers to develop emphysema, even with a heavy passive smoke exposure.
3 Comments
Blank
Have you had a sputum test and CT scan of the chest. How did your doctor reach this diagnosis. What tests did he do? Please keep informed.
Blank
The test they used to determine these diagnoses was a high resolution CT scan of the chest.  My chest X-ray is normal.  My PFT's and pulse ox are also normal.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
This Forum's Experts
242587_tn?1355427710
David Tinkelman, M.D.Blank
National Jewish Health
Denver, CO
Blank
Request an Appointment
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Asthma Tracker