Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
morning cough

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

morning cough

During the past month, I wake up every morning with really tight lungs (phlegm), wheezing, and a cough that brings up phlegm, lasting for 30 to 40 minutes.  This has happened to me before, and it only happens during the spring season.  I live in Indiana, and it has been extremely humid.  My home does not have an air conditioner, and the basement is somewhat moldy.  Our house is very humid.  I also work in a smoke-y bar.

I am about one day away from going to a doctor, and am posting here because I am curious to know if this cough seems more like an allergy, asthma, or a smoker's cough.
I think it is definitely related to the smoky bar. It may also be complicated by allergies and/or asthma.  It sounds like you're exposed to both molds and springtime/summer allergens.  This cough is a serious sign of rhinitis (inflammation of the nose) and almost certainly bronchitis.  The first step is to get out of the smoky bar, get an air conditioner and then scrub-away the mold.

If the symptoms persist for a month or more, despite these actions, you should definitely see your doctor.
Asthma Tracker
Asthma Tracker
Allergy Tracker
Allergy Tracker