Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
mri

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

mri

I had a mri on my back and the dr said there is fluid in my lungs.  I have nothing else the matter with me and I am wondering what this could mean.  I am 31 years old and have only had back problems.
the dr said that this could just be some result from having a MRI.  Could this be.  He is sending me to have a chest xray.  Can you help me with this cause it is bugging me.
thanks
jenny
You said, "the dr said that this could just be some result from having a MRI".  He probably meant that the MRI was sensitive enough to detect the fluid in your lungs or, more likely, that the MRI finding was falsely positive and, not really fluid.  An MRI of the back is not designed to evaluate the lungs and the images are inferior, and easier to misinterpret than is an MRI of the lungs.

The first order of business is for your doctors to order whatever tests may be necessary to resolve the question:  are there abnormal "shadows" in your lungs or not?  If the answer is yes you will need additional testing.  To begin with you will need the x-ray and may need a CT scan of your lungs.  With this information, your doctors should be able to inform you of the likely cause or causes.  The likelihood is that, at age 31, your lungs are fine.