Respiratory Disorders Community
mucus in my throat and chest + acid reflux

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung and respiratory issues, allergies, asthma, bronchitis, colds/flu, chronic cough, COPD, lung abscess, nasal polyps, pleurisy, pneumonia, sarcoidosis, and tuberculosis.

My whole life I seemed to be healthy except from my chronic back pain and sometimes flu I never really had serious health issues but on the last 3 months I was having hard time swallowing my saliva and I have to drink water each time I wanted to swallow my saliva, I feel my heart starting to beat fast and shortness of breath. I was trying to cope with it by chewing gums + halls + drinking water but these symptoms seem to happen only as soon as I eat my dinner. The situation got really worse a month ago when I couldn't swallow my food + shortness of breath + chest tightness. One night while I was eating I felt pressure around my neck is like somebody is chocking me and started burping + hiccups but no vomiting or acid came out. It is like a painful hiccups that made me put my hands around my neck all the time as I feel the painful pressure. Then I started having pain at the esophagus & throat area with shortness of breath and chest pain. I went to the ER did all tests came up fine but they ended up giving me Naproxen Ec 500 mg so I went home took the medication for a week and felt so sick and started having stomach pain + constipation + can't eat felt full I cant even drink water because as soon as I eat or drink some thing, I start Burping + feeling pressure around my neck + also feel like some thing stock on top of my throat and at the end of my esophagus. So I went to my doc and he suggested       that I have acid reflux gave Nexium but it didn't seem to help as the situation got worse and I couldn't eat for 5 days and started burps, hiccups, pressure around my neck, pressure on my chest and especially the esophagus, I feel something is stock in there (mucus like), but I'm not vomiting. Two days ago My face turned blue and couldn't breath and felt my stomach was up into my chest + bad constipation + feeling bloated + abdominal pain and all the sudden my face turned blue and started grasping for air couldn't breath well. I went to the emergency room and ended up being diagnosed with Gastritis ( may be because of the Naproxen that they gave 1 st time in the ER) and the doc gave me pepcid Famotidine 40 mg I took it and felt a little relief from the stomach and acid reflux and for the first time I could eat yogurt without feeling full. but I still felt shotness of breath + chest pain specially in the middle and on the left lung and soon after started feeling pressure around my neck + sensation of something stock om my throat + chest. I always felt like I have mucus in the back of my nose and down into my throat and chest area so I took some cayenne pepper + Honey + lemon and soon after I felt that something is coming out and felt chocked for a while until i vomited a little and started clearing my throat and I felt a chunk of hard yellow with some red nasty mucus came out from the back of my nose. I kept breathing hard and felt that my throat is closed up with mucus like and I tried hard to clear it but nothing came out so I felt very tired and dizzy and drink some water to clear the throat up but no success.
My symptoms are confusing, I don't really know if I have bad sinus infections + acid reflux + esophageal stricture + gastritis + chest congestion. As of right now I can't eat because as soon as I swallow anything even water I feel pain on the chest and start hiccups and my throat starts aching. I only find a little relief when I don't eat at all. I also felt some relief a while after I cleared the mucus from the back of my nose but I don't really know what to do and I will appreciate your help. ( 2 times ER + 3 times doc visits but don't know what I'm suffering from) please help me.
thanks      
Hi emmy17,

If you have a look at my profile and history of forum posts you will see a bit about my problems and my theories on getting well which have developed and progressed over time the more i have researched and with a bit of trial and error. I have suffered very similar problems to you and had many different treatments including operations.

It sounds like you have the common link between sinus problems, post nasal drip and acid reflux / digestive problems. This link is very common and often leads to a merry go round of being passed from one specialist to another. The link is often diagnosed as the acid reflux causing the sinus problems, or passed off simply as "allergies" and as such a deeper cause may often be missed or ignored by standard medical practitioners.

I would not say to you dont pursue the doctors recommendations as in some cases maybe they work? depending on the cause? but if you find that they dont seem to be getting to the root of the problem and only treating symptoms then consider the following:

Have you had any metal fillings? Do you eat and crave sugar / sweet things? Are you allergic to dairy products?

These things can indicate mercury toxicity, candida yeast infection, leaky gut syndrome and food intolerance (food intolerance can be triggered by the other things). These things over time can cause serious illness with varying consequences dependant on the person. Any one of them alone is damaging and needs addressing, but often they occur simultaneously and usually the beginning source is mercury in the system which starts a chain reaction of symptoms.

Some interesting websites you should read (there are many other resources on the internet on these subjects) which will hopefully help:

http://www.thecandidadiet.com/whatiscandida.htm

http://mercurytalk.com/index.php

http://www.ei-resource.org/treatment-options/treatment-information/leaky-gut-syndrome-treatment/index.php?option=com_frontpage&Itemid=13

http://hsibaltimore.com/2002/12/23/curing-acid-reflux/

If you feel that things arent making sense then this could be the reason!

You mentioned pain when swallowing and associated reactions, that could indicate candida in your eosophagus which is usually only present in immune compromised people (I had it myself) like HIV etc. But mercury from amalgam fillings (or other factors such as excessive use of antibiotics, poor diet, some illness etc) can massively compromise your immune system allowing candida to flourish and spread throughout the body, explaining why someone without HIV or similar conditions could have systemic candidiasis like that!

Good luck
Hi there,

Are you still suffering from breathing/pressure problems, particularly in reaction to eating food? I was having the same problems. For a couple of years, I was having severe breathing and esophageal-pressure (for lack of better words) problems that lasted for hours, particularly after having eaten. (Some foods resulted in worse reactions than others) I found that, sadly, only eating an incredibly simple diet of mostly raw fruits and veggies made it go away. My social life really suffered from this, at least I felt it did, as I could not eat "regular" food and I couldn't even drink any alcohol. As I cannot sustain that sort of diet for the rest of my life, I obviously went back to eating "regular" foods, and the breathing/pressure problem eventually returned. A doctor diagnosed me with acid reflux, which I had suspected was the problem. Proton-pump inhibitors did not work for me, nor did tums or anything. This has been driving me nuts - I am a grad. student, and having this problem was severely effecting my quality of life. FINALLY, a doctor told me over the phone that I might have too LITTLE acid, a problem called hypochlorhydria, which symptomatically mimicks acid reflux - she said that my previous horrible diet could have upset my stomach's ability to generate acid. When you have hypochlorhydria, your food, after having eaten, tends to sit in your stomach and "ferment" as you do not have enough hydrochloric acid to digest the material. Your stomach then produces lots of gas and even reflux from the other "juices" that make up gastric acid. I suspect that the "esophageal pressure" and breathing problems were a result of too many gases being produced in my stomach, expanding my diaphragm and upsetting my lung capacity. All I know is that I started taking probiotics (I know, sounds flaky) and this stuff called Betaine HCL w/ pepsin and my problem, literally, went away completely. I honestly feel, like, rejuvenated. I maintain a good diet, but I can have sweets and heavy foods and, as long as I take this stuff once a day, I always feel fine - I literally couldn't eat ANY heavy/sweet foods before. I would check it out if I were you. I am literally so ecstatic now that my problem is gone. Has any doctor consulted you on this? I am really worried, because so many doctors said I had acid reflux, and it turned out I had the opposite - I am worried that so many people are on all this antacid stuff that isn't, therefore, helping them.

Good luck! Let me know if this works for you, if you end up trying it out.

best,
Suzanne
By the way, I also had had tons of bloating and belching before. (I know, attractive)
Oh, and I had had lots of mucus in my throat.