Respiratory Disorders Community
mucus won't stop

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung and respiratory issues, allergies, asthma, bronchitis, colds/flu, chronic cough, COPD, lung abscess, nasal polyps, pleurisy, pneumonia, sarcoidosis, and tuberculosis.

mucus won't stop

I smoked for 16 years about 1 pack a day.  In the last 5 years I've tried a few times to quit smoking.  When stressful situations came at me, I'd always give in to smoking again.  Each year I'd battle Upper Respiority Infections at least twice and it would usually go into broncitus.  I've had boncitus now 4 different times and each time is seems to be worse than the last.  Last week was the worst of all.   I was so sick!   I went to the doctor and found out I had strep throat, both of my ears were full of fluid and had infection, my lungs sounded clear but my broncial tubes must be in bad shape because I cough and cough and cough and all this nasty mucus comes up.  Dr. perscribed amoxicillon twice a day for 7 days and a steroid once a day for 7 days.  He wrote me a prescription for cough syrup.  Each day my throat got a little better but my cough and mucus has gotten worse.  I will be okay for a while and then all of a sudden at no warning I'll get this uncontrolable urge to cough and cough and I have loads of clear mucus.  It feels like it is in the back of my throat and I can't get it all up.  It is thick and I spit it up and there is always more and I cough very hard, sometimes I throw up I cough so hard and then more mucus comes up.  I can't sleep because when I lay down I cough.  I take cough syrup to try to sleep.  I sleep maybe 20 to 30 minutes and then I have mucus coming up again.  I'm up and down all night long and always tired because I can't get a good night sleep.  I got so mad at myself over all of this that I broke up all my cigerattes and threw them away on Saturday.  Today is Sunday!   I've went 24 hours now without a cigeratte.   I've been so sick that I don't even want to smoke.   I don't want to die from lung cancer.  I had no realize how terrible lung problems were!  Now I'm still sick and don't know how to make this mucus stop!  I don't know how to stop this coughing!   Tomorrow morning is my last dose of medicine and the 7 days are up.  But I'm still SICK with all this coughing and mucus.  Please help!   What is wrong?   Will this stop soon?  I can't go on like this much longer with little sleep, coughing uncontrolible many times during the day and all this mucus in my throat making me sick and throwing up.  I bought some Musinex DM and it helps some but I still cough and have mucus.   I'm afraid to eat because I don't know what will stay down and what will cause me to throw up.  I'm afraid to lay down because when I do it makes me cough worse and makes more mucus.  Please help!   One thing is for certain, I'm threw with cigerattes!   I don't ever want to be this sick again!   Please HELP!    SOMEBODY PLEASE TELL ME WHAT I CAN DO TO STOP THIS COUGHING AND MUCUS?  HELP!