Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
multiple lung nodules
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

multiple lung nodules

I was diagnosed with Non-hodgkins lymphoma in 2003; had a lesion in my stomach probably caused by H.pylori.  Recently my routine chest-ab-pelvis X-ray revealed growing lung nodule in lower left lobe of my lung (60 yrs old; smoked for 20 years; quit 20 years ago, my mother died of lung cancer).  A more specific chest CT scan revealed multiple nodules and I am scheduled to see a pulmonologist soon.  
I read that 80% of multiple nodules are due to metastatic solid organ malignancies.  With my history what is the chance that this is a recurrence of lymphoma in my lungs?
Symptoms include night sweats, which I do have frequently.  However I am a severe type I diabetic and thought these night sweats were caused by blood sugar changes in the night?  Can I assume this is a symptom of diabetes or NHL?
Related Discussions
242588_tn?1224275300
Multiple lung nodules, often sizable, can be seen with non-Hodgkins lymphoma (NHL).  This can also be seen with hematogenous or blood-borne metastatic cancer and with infectious disease, especially fungal.  A chest radiologist should be able to suggest the most likely diagnosis, based on nodule size, shape, variation in size, distribution etc., but a biopsy will almost certainly be required to establish the exact diagnosis.  Your information that 80% of multiple nodules are due to metastatic solid organ malignancies may be a little high but probably not by much.  Rarely, tuberculosis can present in this fashion.  It and diabetes and NHL can all be associated with fever and night sweats.

The sooner the diagnosis is established and treatment begun, the better.  Should these be large nodules, it may be possible to make the diagnosis by bronchoscopy or by trans-thoracic needle biopsy/aspiration.  If not, video-assisted thoracic surgery (VATS) may be required.

Good luck
1 Comment
Blank
A related discussion, CT scan with large lung nodules, fever, non-smoker was started.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
This Forum's Experts
242587_tn?1355427710
David Tinkelman, M.D.Blank
National Jewish Health
Denver, CO
Blank
Request an Appointment
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Asthma Tracker