Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
my husband also blacks out when he coughs

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

my husband also has black outs. he to is a smoker and a drinker, and i notice when he drinks a little to much by that i mean a little over a 12 pack, he dont drink liquor just beer, he starts coughing and tonight he was sitting in the computer chair when it started and he fell out of the chair. he didnt get hurt but it has me worried....could it be fl. in his lungs?
You and your husband should each be worried by what has been happening.  What you describe suggests that the beer your husband drinks is either causing him to aspirate beer or food into his lungs or interfering with the bodily function that normally serves to clear mucous from the lungs.  The former, having food go into his windpipe could be life threatening.  In either case, it puts him in danger of not getting enough air and that is a very serious business..

I assume from your comment that his drinking more than a twelve pack occurs in a single sitting.  If that is the case, or even if it is ingested in a 24 hour period, that is a lot of alcohol, enough to cause most individuals to be inebriated and an amount consistent with the diagnosis of alcoholism.  He should seek help to deal with this undeniably heavy drinking and should do so without delay.

Good luck